- On 24th August the Company was incorporated as a Private Limited Company under the name, Imperial Tobacco Co. of India Ltd. The Company manufacture and distribute cigarettes and smoking tobaccos and speciality papers including cigarette tissue papers (Sole manufacturer in the country). Other activities include tobacco leaf processing, printing and packaging, hotels, food and exports.
- The Company acquired the manufacturing business of Tobacco Manufacturers (India) Ltd., and the Complementary Lithographic printing business of Printers (India) Ltd.
- The Company was converted into a Public Limited Company on 27th October.
- The name of the Company was changed from the Imperial Tobacco Co. of India Ltd., to India Tobacco Co. Ltd., in May.
- 5,00,000 Right shares issued to Indian shareholders (prem. Rs 3 per shares). 32,90,000 No. of Equity Shares offered to the public (prem. Rs. 3 per share).
- On October Company entered into hotel business.
- Company received the approval of Govt. for setting up three processing plants. 1974
- On 1st April name again changed to I T C Ltd.
- During this period an offer for sale of 28,04,775 equity shares at par was made to the Indian public by the three major non-resident shares holders viz., Tobacco manufactures (India) Ltd, Tobacco Investments Ltd., and Rothmans International Ltd. all of UK.
- ITC Ltd Purchased the net asset in India of India Leaf Tobacco Development Co. Ltd. (UK).
- During December some foreign shareholders offered a total of 38,00,000 No. of equity shares of Rs 10 each at a premium of Rs 5.00 for sale to reduce the foreign equity holding of the Company to 40%. The shares offered were 10,95,774 shares by Tobacco Manufacturers (India) Ltd., 26,42,216 shares by Tobacco Investments Ltd., U.K., and 57,010 shares by Rothmans International Ltd., U.K.
- 37,90,000 Bonus shares issued in prop. 1:5. 1979
- The name of the Company's chain of hotels was changed from "Welcom Hotels" to "Welcomgroup". The company entered into a Marketing Service and Reservations Agreement with the Sheration International Incorporated which was sactioned by Govt. on 27th January.
- 45,48,000 Bonus shares issued in prop. 1:5.
- A new Company under the name Gujarat Hotels was incorporated under a joint venture agreement signed between the Company and Gujarat Industrial Investment Corporation. This Co. had set up a 144-room hotel at Vadodara known as Welcomegroup Vadodara.
- The Company is holding 24.9% of the subscribed equity capital of Rs 348 lakhs of Gujarat Hotels Ltd., as on 31.03.1993.
- 29,38,050 shares allotted to bondholders in exchange of accrued interest on 1.7.1984.
- 29,42,060 Shares allotted to bondholders in exchange of accrued interest.
- The Company signed a joint venture agreement with MP Audyogik Vikas Nigam for setting up of four hotels over the next five years.
- ITC Filtrona Ltd. a 50:50 joint venture Company promoted by the Company and Filtrona International Ltd. UK. The Company manufactures high technology filters for the cigarette industry.
- New brands viz., Wills Flake Premium Filter and Scissors Filter were introduced. Long-term agreements were entered into with the unions of factories located at Calcutta, Saharanpur and Munger. In Bangalore, however, working was affected by a strike for 114 days.
- The Company acquired Nedovs Hotel, Srinagar on lease. An agreement was concluded for building a new hotel in Jaipur and the hotel division added another 30 rooms in Mughal Sheraton, Agra, to cater to the growing demand.
- In May the company formed a new division called Agribusiness Division for carrying out research and development on production and distribution of high yielding cultivars with emphasis on oil seeds, marketing of edible oils in bulk and consumer packs and export of agricultural produce.
- A Memorandum of Understanding was signed with the authorities to open an Indian restaurant in Odessa, U.S.S.R.
- The Company subscribed for 11,86,157 No. of equity shares of Rs 10 each for cash at par in the equity capital of PABL.
- Different varities of oilseeds under the brand name of "ADARSH" and cooking oil under "SUNDROP" were launched.
- New investments were made in water and bulk liquid packaging project. The Company explored the possibility of setting up a new software development centre in India with ability to access Company's customers' computers abroad through data communication links.
- A major part of the business of India Leaf Tobacco Development Co. Ltd., (U.K.) (ILTD) consisted of its operations in India where it operated as a sister concern of the Company. ILTD was a pioneer in introducing Virginia tobacco to India and over the year, developed into a highly efficient enterprise, besides being a very large exporter of tobacco. The Company purchases, with effect from 1st April, 1975, the net assets in India of ILTD whereupon it became a division of the Company.
- During the year Company entered into a foreign collaboration agreement with Liqui Box Corporation of U.S.A. for manufacture of Plastic bags dispensing valves and filments, Industrial Machinery for use with packaging and filling system for manufacture at the company's industrial unit at Thiruvottiyur in Tamil Nadu.
- 331,68,110 Bonus Equity shares issued in prop. 1:1.
- The Company proposed to evaluate a methodology for extraction of tobacco protein and solenesol and also investigate on the feasibility of converting tobacco waste into reconstituted waste.
- Due to political disturbances in Kashmir, the project work at hotel Nedovs in Srinagar was suspended. The Bukhara restaurant was franchised to the Sheraton hotel in Hongkong also.
- Refined mustard oil under the brand name "REAL GOLD" was introduced in the market.
- On 1st April Tribeni Tissues Ltd was amalgamated with the Co. As per the terms of the merger, 5 equity shares of Rs.10 each of the company were issued at par without payment in cash for every six equity shares of Rs.10 each held in TTL. Accordingly, 105,95,070 No. of Equity shares were allotted to the shareholders of the erstwhile TTL.
- The company entered into an agreement with MISR Import & Export Co. A.R.E Cairo, Egypt for the export of tea to Egypt on Commission at the rate of 3% payable in U.S. Dollars on the FOB/C&F value of each transaction.
- Company proposed to enter and agreement with National Trading & Developing Establishment, Abu Dhabi for export of safety matches to UAE on commission at the rate of 3% on FOB value of each transaction.
- Company proposed to enter and agreement with a firm under the name of Jalil Rastar, Tehran, Iran for export of tea to Iran on commission at the rate of 5% on the FOB/C&F value of each transaction.
- Since January there was labour unrest at Tribeni Tissues paper mill which led to a lockout at the mill with effect from 27th May.
- On 8th April, ITC Global Holdings Pte. Ltd was incorporated in Singapore a wholly owned trading subsidiary of the Company.
- During the same period a wholly owned subsidiary ITC Infotech Ltd. incorporated in UK with an authorised capital of US $ 2 million and paid up capital of US $5 lakh.
- The hybrid seeds business was being repositioned in the newly formed ITC Zere Co. Ltd., a joint venture paticipation with Zere Co. Plc of UK.
- The Company successfully launched Hero brand Cigarettes.
- During this period a finacial service division was formed. Companies Associated, ITC Classic Finance Ltd, proposed to enter a joint venture with Peregrine Group of Hong Kong through a new company, ITC Peregrine Capital Pvt. Ltd. to commence investment banking and brokerage services business.
- In October the Company issued 45,00,000 Global Depository Receipts representing 45,00,000 ordinary shares. Three offered GDRs were to be issued with one warrent to subscribe for one warrant GDR upon payment of US $ 15.30.
- Two new brands viz., `Classic Milds' and `Hero' were launched at the premium and small-length ends respectively.
- Company propose to sell various edible oil brands to ITC Agro Tech Ltd. for a consideration of Rs.25 crores.
- On 21st February Tiruvottiyur establishment resumed following a tripartie settlement.
- 121,318,177 bonus equity shares issued in propn. 1:1, 2,85,550 No. of equity shares issued on conversion of 1,85,450 warrants.
- Company introduced scissors standard.
- ITC classic finance entered into arrangemnt for launching mutual funds ITC Classic Finance had set up a Company to enable operation in real estate and also a home finance Co. to provide finance to a range of buyers in the Commercial/Home Property markets.
- Company introduced capstan Menthol filter, capstan standard and Bristo standared and re-designed Gold Flake Kings and Berkley Filter. Further, Gold Flake Lights in Kingsize was introduced into test markets.
- The consideration of the edible oil business could not be completed due to adverse business conditions experienced by the ITC Agro-Tech Ltd.
- During the year a new company ITC Classic Threadneedls AMC, a joint venture between ITC Classic Finance Ltd. and Threadneedle Asset Management was formed to launch a series of Mutual Funds.
- 25,78,150 No. of Equity shares allotted on exercise of 12,89,075 warrants on payment of U.S. $15.30 per warrant.
- Company purchased Mantralayam undertaking for a consideration of Rs.115.80 crores aganst settlement of all dues. The plant has since been licensed back to ITC Agro-tech for five years.
- The Company has launched `Classic Ultra Milds' and `Wills Natural Lights' brands during the year.
- ITC Classic Finance Ltd. was amalgamated with ICICI Ltd.
- ConAgra Inc. U.S.A., invested in ITC Agro-Tech Limited by way of preferential allotment of over 51% equity, through its Mauritius based subsidiary, CAG-TECH Limited.
- Having taken an in-principle decision to acquire the businesses, the ITC board has set up an internal committee to go into the nitty-gritty of the real estate business in CIDL.
- City based Indian Tobacco Company workers will go on a day-long strike on December 26, in protest against the management's move to retrench 416 workmen from its cigarette manufacturing unit.
- ITC Ltd has signed an agreement with National Securities Depository Ltd (NSDL) to get its securities admitted for dematerialisation.
- ITC Ltd is one of the most liquid scrips in the capital market. With domestic institutions having a considerable stake in this counter, this move is likely to improve liquidity in demat trading.
- ITC Ltd has undertaken a comprehensive exercise to restructure all its wholly-owned subsidiaries to align them with the four thrust areas viz., tobacco, hotels, paper and paperboards and printing and packaging.
- ITC has nearly 105 subsidiaries, which are involved in various kinds of operations.
- Tobacco gaint ITC has raised its stake in paper and paperboards subsidiary, ITC Bhadrachalam Paperboards, from 37% to 51% through a preferential allotment of equity shares. This follow the allotment, by the board of ITC Bhadrachalam Paperboards, of 1,91,20,000 No. of equity shares of Rs. 10 each for cash, at an issue price of Rs. 65 per share and 11% redeemable cumulative-preference shares of the face value of Rs 100 each, for cash, at par to promoter company ITC.
- ITC will set up a new tobacco processing department (TPD) because the increased production will make it economical to process tobacco on site.
- The Anaparti factory of ITC Ltd -- ILTD division, received the Rajiv Gandhi National Quality award for 1995.
- Mr. K.S. Rao, Chief Executive of the ILTD division of ITC, received the award from the Union Minister for Chemical, Fertilisers, Food and Consumer Affairs, Mr. Surjit Singh Barnala, at Vigyan Bhavan.
- ITC Infotech Ltd, the UK-based, wholly-owned subsidiary of the Company, and Compaq Computer (I) Pvt. Ltd. signed an MoU aimed at exploring business opportunities for deploying e-enabled solutions.
- The Company has launched a project "e-Choupal" in Bhopal to Web-enable farmers to make a beginning in agricultural e-trade.
- ITC Ltd its entry into retailing business by launching branded leisurewear apparels as part of its diversification strategy into new areas.
- The Company is hiving off its Infotech services businesses in India, the US and UK and merging them into a separate wholly-owned subsidiary.
- The IT division has entered into agreements with Compaq and expand the IT business.
- The company set up the Lifestyle Retailing Business Division. A strategic Business Unit for the greeting cards business was set up under the Packaging and Printing Division.
- ITC has launched Wills Sport, a full range of internationally styled premium wear for men and women.
- ITC Infotech Ltd., the recently-launched it subsidiary of ITC Ltd., has become one of the select software organisations in the world to achieve the distinction of being certified at Level-5 on the prestigious Capability Maturity Model.
- Tobacco Company ITC launched a website, billed as `one stop terminus' for international customers of agricultural commodities. The website, ww.itcibd.com, will provide information on trading of key commodities.
- The Company have set up units in the north-eastern States to avail of special incentives relating to Central excise duties.
- On 21th August, ITC Infotech India Limited became a wholly owned subsidiary of the company. Ansal Hotels Limited became a subsidiary of ITC Hotels Limited effective from 12th July.
- The Board of the company has recommended an employee stock option scheme.
- ITC Ltd. has proposed an Employee Stock Option Plan where ordinary shares up to 5 per cent of the issued and subscribed capital will be issued to employees.
- Having carved a niche for itself by launching the first branded lifestyle apparel, Wills Sport, in Delhi in July 2000, the Lifestyle Retailing Business Division of ITC Limited has now big plans up its sleeve.
- ITC Ltd, the Rs 8,816 crore cigarette and hotels company, has decided to merge its subsidiary, the Rs 623 crore ITC Bhadrachalam Paperboards Ltd, with itself.
- ITC Ltd has informed that the Board of Directors, appointed Mr. J.B. Stevens as an Additional Non-Executive Director of the Company and the Board accepted the resignation of Mr. A.A. R. Rodrigures.
- ITC Ltd has informed BSE that a large number of workmen have resumed work at the company's printing factory at Tiruvottiyur Chenna.
- ITC Ltd, which has acquired a shade over 14 per cent in EIH Ltd, which owns the Oberoi chain of hotels.
-ITC Ltd. has informed the Exchange that the Company on May 06, 2002 has allotted 20,96,982 Ordinary Shares of Rs 10/- each in the ratio of 1share of the company for every 16 fully paid up Equity Shares of Rs 10- each held in ITC Bhadrachalam Paperboards Ltd to the members of the ITC Bhadrachalam, in terms of the Scheme of Amalgamation of ITC Bhadrachalam with the company.
- ITC, Tobacco major, has launched Aashirvaad atta making its foray into Indian atta market.
- ITC's greetings cards business and Maple Leaf have entered into Joint Venture where Maple Leaf will exclusively manufacture pop-up cards for ITC.
- ITC Foods ands ITC Ltd, is finally foraying its way to the Rs 1,100 crore confectionery market. The foods division which has shifted office from Kolkata to Bangalore this month, has introduced its first confectionery product, acquired brand Minto in four cities.
-ITC Greeting Cards Business (ITC-GCB), has forayed into stationery products segment with the launch of Expressions PaperKraft.
-ITC Limited has taken over Wills brand. ITC had to acquire the Wills brand in the US, before it takes Wills merchandise to America.
-ITC Ltd. has informed the Exchange that the company has acquired further 56,000 ordinary shares of Nepalese Rupees 100/- each of Surya Nepal Pvt. Ltd. (Surya Nepal), earlier known as Surya Tobacco Company (P) Ltd, a company incorporated under the laws of Nepal.
-ITC Ltd has informed BSE that Industrial Development Bank of India ('IDBI') has appointed Mr T M Nagarajan, Deputy Managing Director IDBI, on the Board of Directors of the Company w e f August 14, 2002, as Nominee Director representing IDBI, in place of Mr R Vasudevan.
-ITC Board approves integration of Bhadrachalam Paperboards Division and Tribeni Tissues Division.
- ITC Ltd International Business Division (ITC-IBD) has introduced an online auction platform called Tradersnet along with its web-based initiative Planternet.
-ITC, now moves towards match business, it has diversified into the match business to earn more revenues from non-tobacco businesses.
-ITC Ltd has informed to BSE that company's Spriha brand of natural incense sticks (Agarbathis) manufactured by Cottage Industries, a unit of the Sri Aurobindo Udyog Trust in Pondicherry was launched on February 21, 2003.
-ITC on April 04, introduced salt in the staple segment, as part of its efforts to clock a Rs 500 crore sales in five years. Salt is the second offering from ITC Foods' staple business in the past 10 months, under the brand name of 'Aashirvaad'.
-ITC group company, International Travel House (ITH), has divested 49 per cent equity in LeasePlan India to the Netherlands-based LeasePlan Corporation (formerly ABN AMRO Lease Holding NV), making it a wholly-owned subsidiary of the foreign company.
-ITC Ltd has set up a Rs 227 crore modernised pulp mill at its Bhadrachalam works aiming to become the first producer of ECF PSP in the country.
-ITC bags Golden Peacock award for cleaner tech
-ITC has forayed into alliance with several state governments to take up afforestation programmes and in lieu get land from which it can source wood-based feedstock for its paperboard business.
-ITC Ltd has informed that the Board of Directors of the Company at its meeting held on July 25, 2003 have noted the resignation of Mr T M Nagarajan, Nominee Director of Industrial Development Bank of India.
- Indian Institute of Management Calcutta (IIMC) has joined with ITC Ltd. to unveil annual business competition -Ideas to Imprementation (i2I).
-NCDEX allies with ITC Ltd for data sharing.
-Company issued & allotted 27792 Ordinary Shares of Rs 10 each, upon exercise of 27792 options by eligible employees under the ITC Employee Stock Option Scheme.
Consequently the issued & subscribed share capital of the company stands increased to Rs 247,54,85,090 divided into 24,75,48,509 ordinary shares of Rs 10/- each.
-Bags Seagate Intelligent Enterprise of the Year award for the most innovative use of information technology
-Commences commercial production of paper using the environment-friendly ECF (elemental chlorine-free) technology at its Bhadrachalam unit in Andhra Pradesh
-Food wing of ITC eyes on 4 pc market share in biscuit market
-The government has not taken up the Supreme Court's suggestion to arrive at a compromise formula with tobacco major ITC for settling the long-drawn-out excise dispute on the ground that it was not clear about the legal provisions under which it could do so.
-ITC unveils new brand of agarbattis
-ITC's Wills Lifestyle unveiled its fall/winter collection here on Jan 6. The collection, featuring Wills Classic formal wear, Wills Sport relaxed wear, Wills Clublife evening wear, and fashion accessories from Furla and Valentino from Italy, is available at ITC's Wills Lifestyle store near Nagarjuna Circle.
-ITC signs memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Andhra Pradesh government for wasteland development
-ITC win Rs 5.80 cr grant from British challenge fund
-Acquires paperboards business of M/s Bilt Industrial Packaging Company Ltd including its 65,000 MT per annum manufacturing facility at Thekkampatty Village, Coimbatore District, Tamil Nadu.
-ITC Food launches a range of 'cooking pastes' under its ready-to-eat gourmet cuisine brand Kitchens of India and readymeal Aashirwad brand
-Completes the process of acquiring the paperboard manufacturing facility of BILT Industrial Packaging Co Ltd. (Bipco) near Coimbatore in Tamil Nadu. The facility, renamed 'unit Kovai', will operate as part of the paperboards and specialty papers division of ITC, which has a unit at Bhadrachalam in Andhra Pradesh.
-ITC unveils Sunfeast biscuits in Chennai
- ITC ties up with Israeli firm for e-choupals
- Crisil gives 'AAA(SO)' to PTCs of ITC
-ITC Ltd's Internet-based rural project, `e-Choupal', has won the inaugural `World Business Award' instituted in support of the United Nation's Millennium Development Goals
-The International Business Division (IBD) of ITC has bagged the "Enterprise Business Transformation Award" for its unique web-based initiative called eChoupal. The award was announced in Shanghai as part of the Wharton Infosys Business Transformation Awards (WIBTA), for Asia Pacific.
-The international business division of ITC forays into trading of organic farm products segment
- Web based e-choupal programme of ITC bags inaugral 'World Business Award at International World Congress on June 8, 2004.
-ITC introduces new special incense gift packs in Bangalore
- ITC Ltd becomes one of the very few companies in India to obtain the coveted Quality Management System certification ISO 9001:2000 for investor servicing.
- ITC Ltd wins 'Golden Peacock Global Award for Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) in Emerging Economies for 2005'.
- ITC Ltd signs an MoU with Tripura Government for a bamboo development programme.
-ITC unveils new `5-in-1' agarbattis
-ITC unveils `Expressions Regalia'
-ITC e-Choupal gets Development Gateway Award